PDA

View Full Version : Buy Too Much Sudafed, Get Arrested

aindik
12-26-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=5477392&nav=menu132_5

This guy was booked, searched, and taken to jail because he had the audacity to buy more than 7500 mg of Sudafed in a month (for himself and his son, who now isn't legally allowed to buy it personally).

Tim takes one 24-hour Claritin-D tablet just about every day. That puts him just under the legal limit of 75-hundred milligrams of pseudo ephedrine a month. The limit is part of a new law that Quad Cities authorities are beginning to strictly enforce.

The law limits the amount of pseudo ephedrine you can buy. Pseudo ephedrine is an ingredient in medicines like Sudafed and Claritin-D, and it's also a key ingredient in methamphetamines.

"It's the only allergy medicine that works for me -- for my allergies," Tim explained.

The only problem is, Tim has a teenaged son who also suffers from allergies. And minors are not allowed to buy pseudo ephedrine.

"I bought some for my boy because he was going away to church camp and he needed it," he said.

That decision put Tim over the legal limit. Two months later, there was a warrant for his arrest.

Insanity.

doom1701
12-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm originally from the Quad Cities.

That's the only thing good about the article. The rest just ****es me off. I've brought up this very fact in other Sudafed related threads--in addition to the 400%+ price increase I've had to endure, the laws make it impossible for families to obtain allergy meds.

aindik
12-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Minor correction. He didn't buy Sudafed. He bought Claratin, containing pseudophedrine. The point stands, though.

doom1701
12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Eh, generic versus name brand naming. Same difference.

Makita
12-26-2006, 03:54 PM
...I've brought up this very fact in other Sudafed related threads--in addition to the 400%+ price increase I've had to endure, the laws make it impossible for families to obtain allergy meds.

I really would like to kjnow if the 400% increase in price at the counter has ALSO increased the cost of the Meth it is produced from? Yes, the lack of 'easy' acquisition will raise prices for a bit, until they learn how to Break and enter into the Pharmacy after it is closed - which will NEVER happen. Let alone, they will never be able to figure out how to cook up their own. ;)

aindik
12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Eh, generic versus name brand naming. Same difference.

Claratin isn't a generic - it's a different brand name. What makes it confusing is that "Sudafed" is a brand name that is designed to sound like the true chemical name of the active ingredient.

Whatever it is, the law is directed to 7500 mg of the active ingredient, which this guy bought.

Note that, according to the article, he's still charged. They didn't dismiss the case after a supposed "misunderstanding" or anything like that. They actually intend to prosecute him.

aindik
12-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I really would like to kjnow if the 400% increase in price at the counter has ALSO increased the cost of the Meth it is produced from? Yes, the lack of 'easy' acquisition will raise prices for a bit, until they learn how to Break and enter into the Pharmacy after it is closed - which will NEVER happen. Let alone, they will never be able to figure out how to cook up their own. ;)

Drugs are like any other industry. Where domestic production costs increase, they'll start importing. I've read about recent increases in meth importation from Mexico.

BrettStah
12-26-2006, 04:21 PM
That's just crazy.

Gai-jin
12-26-2006, 07:40 PM
This is the area I live in.

I'm curious to see what the outcome is, but it sure sounds rediculous from what I've seen so far.

Michael
12-26-2006, 09:07 PM
All of it is getting silly. Went one time to get some from Target, but because the pharmacy was closed they couldn't sell it to me... :(

JYoung
12-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Thank God I picked up sufficent Pseudo ephedrine enhanced Sinus Tylenol when I was Canada to last me a while.
Because I sure couldn't buy any in the States.

bigpuma
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Thank God I picked up sufficent Pseudo ephedrine enhanced Sinus Tylenol when I was Canada to last me a while.
Because I sure couldn't buy any in the States.

Careful or you will be busted for drug smuggling.

Warren
12-27-2006, 05:23 AM
can't they look at his house and see that he is not cooking meth then let him go?

Combat Medic
12-27-2006, 07:53 AM
can't they look at his house and see that he is not cooking meth then let him go?
Why would they let facts get in the way of anything?

aindik
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM

According to the article, purchasing too much pesudoephedrine is, itself, a crime, regardless of what you do with it after you bought it. Which is the most ridiculous part.

This is like, in the prohibition days, making it illegal to purchase too much sugar or too much yeast.

Sue Ann
12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
The pharmacist at my local Target has commented that I buy too much and I should "sprinkle" my shopping around town. HUH ???

I take ClaritanD for my allergies and take Robuttisn so that I can sleep without coughing my lungs out.

She suggested that I have my doctor write a prescription for other drugs so I don't get in the state database as a purchaser. WTF ? These are the medications that the doctor told me to use and I used it when it was a prescription.

heySkippy
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
In the meantime, I can still buy bottles of ephedrine tablets at the beer store marketed as bronchio-dialators and alertness aids here in Florida without so much as an ID.

stargazer21
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
All of it is getting silly. Went one time to get some from Target, but because the pharmacy was closed they couldn't sell it to me... :(

Yeah, I had one memorable Sunday at work due to the fact that my allergies kicked in that morning and I couldn't buy any of my meds. This is insanity.

RegBarc
12-29-2006, 08:56 PM
I've just used an entire bottle of Robitussen PM to try and kick this lingering cold.

Handcuffs, bitte!

Sue Ann
12-29-2006, 11:28 PM
I've just used an entire bottle of Robitussen PM to try and kick this lingering cold.

Handcuffs, bitte!

just go to a different store .. if it's like the DMV by the time they figure out you are a "buyer" you'll have a stash at home :laugh:

doom1701
01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, but unlike "real" laws, they can arrest you for buying allergy meds with no proof. You're guilty until proven innocent.

Rapists and murderers get off because of technicalities, while somebody with a cold rots in jail...

RegBarc
01-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh, something else somewhat related to the topic...

When I picked up my Hydrocodone script at Rite-Aid, they never asked for ID at any point in the process.

Hydrocodone is an opiate, too.

mercurial
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
My FIL has bad allergies and uses Sudafed a for it. When he'd visit us in VA, he'd often buy a whatever the limit was to have extra. I think my wife even bought a couple of bottles for him at some point. I'm pretty sure he wasn't cooking up meth at home...

jgickler
01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
My FIL has bad allergies and uses Sudafed a for it. When he'd visit us in VA, he'd often buy a whatever the limit was to have extra. I think my wife even bought a couple of bottles for him at some point. I'm pretty sure he wasn't cooking up meth at home...

It would probabily be simpler to just get a prescription of sudafed. I think that in almost any state, including IL where the OP's example is from, you can purchase in excess of the recommended dosage if you have a prescription. Just get a prescription, have it on file at Walgreens where they share prescription information nation wide, and he should be set.